I made these Zucchini, Lemon & Goat Cheese Muffins as part of a breakfast spread for an event I catered for the BBC. The brief was a healthy, vegetarian, savoury muffin.
One of my favourite muffin combos is lemon, thyme & goat cheese. This is essentially the same combo with some added greenery and the result is delish! I used spelt flour to amp up the ‘health factor’, but also because I think the savoury nuttiness of the spelt grain adds to the flavour of the muffin #bonus.
Zucchini, Lemon & Goat Cheese Muffins
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
- 2 teaspoons of finely grated lemon zest
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 80g cultured butter, melted
- 4 drops of lemon essential oil (optional)
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 100g goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan forced. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- In a large bowl combine the spelt flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, thyme and lemon zest.
- In a medium bowl combine the egg, buttermilk, butter and lemon essential oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients with the zucchini and the goat cheese. Stir ingredients with a wooden spoon until just combined. Do not over mix or your muffins will become rubbery.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through and golden.