A Spicy Red Lentil Soup Poem:
This soup is quick.
This soup is hearty.
This soup is healthy.
This soup is yum.
Spicy Red Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1 bunch of coriander, leaves picked and stalks finely chopped.
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes (more if you like heat).
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cups bone broth (or veggie broth)
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 4 leaves cavolo nero, stalks removed & finely sliced.
- avocado and lime juice to serve.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook stirring for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic, ginger and coriander stalks. Cook stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the lentils, broth, coconut milk and diced tomatoes. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Stir occasionally to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pan. Stir through cavolo nero until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup topped with fresh coriander leaves, avocado and fresh lime juice.