I make a version of this at every single yoga retreat I cater and without fail it gets rave reviews.
Make a big batch and enjoy it as a quick and easy lunch or dinner throughout the week, that’s what I do!
Roast Pumpkin & Fresh Tomato Dahl
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
- 5 cardamom pods, seeds removed from pods
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 small brown onion, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Place pumpkin on a lined oven tray and roast fro 30 minutes or until tender.
- To make curry paste, toast cumin and cardamom seeds in a small frying pan until toasted. Remove. Heat coconut oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the mustard seeds and allow them to pop briefly. Add the cardamom, cumin, curry leaves, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric and coriander and cook stirring for 1 minute. Add the lentils and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir through roast pumpkin and fresh tomato.
- Serve with brown rice, salad, yoghurt and dosa.