This is roast eggplant, peach & toasted seed salad is officially my favourite summer salad. You see, it’s the stone fruit that makes it. Remove the peach and you just got an average salad.
Well I say that but the toasted seeds are also an integral step. Without those seeds this salad is nothin’.
But I mean don’t even think about making this salad sans eggplant. The roasted eggplant is the king of this dish…
Okay! You got me. The whole damn combination is the real winner here. Each ingredient just works.
This is the salad I bring, when friends say bring a salad… it impresses every time.
Roast Eggpant, Peach & Toasted Seed Salad
- 1 large eggplants, cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Ras El Hanout
- 1 tablespoon organic sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon organic pumpkin kernels
- 2 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 large yellow peach, cut into 1cm thick wedges
- 150g bag baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Toss the eggplant in the olive oil and Ras El Hanout. Place on the prepared oven tray and roast in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile heat a medium frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sunflower seeds, pumpkin kernels, white sesame seeds and black sesame seeds. Toss for 1-2 minutes or until golden and toasted. Remove from the pan.
- To serve toss the baby spinach, peach and roast eggplant in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with toasted seeds.
Photography: Lisa Skerrett. Shot at Back 2 Roots Retreat, Bundanoon.