This Persian Love Cake.
I mean there are no words.
It’s everything you want from a cake.
Plus it’s gluten free. See notes below for dairy free options. Both taste amazing.
Persian Love Cake
- 3 cups blanched almond meal
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 125g butter, softened
- 2 organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Coco Tribe coconut yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 drops of wild orange essential oil*
- 1 drop of cardamom essential oil*
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried rose petals
- Preheat oven to 180ºC . Grease a 23cm springform cake pan and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine the almond meal, coconut, sugar and butter. Mix until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Spoon half of the mixture into the cake pan and gently press it evenly over the base of the pan (roughly 1/2 cm thick).
- Add the eggs, yoghurt and spices to the almond mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. Pour the mixture over the base.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, combine the yoghurt, honey and essential oils in a small bowl.
- Cool cake completely on a wire rack. Remove from the springform pan. Smooth the coconut yoghurt mixture over the top of the cake until completely coated. Sprinkle the outer rim with pistachios and garnish with dried rose petals.
Photography: Lisa Skerrett. Shot at Back 2 Roots Retreats, Bundanoon.