I haven’t actually tried this Healthy Flourless Chocolate Cake.
I made it for a friend’s birthday, delivered it whole, and didn’t stick around for a tasting.
It’s unusual for me to post a recipe up here having not actually tried the fruits of my labour, but the feedback was pretty conclusive…
“this is f*ckin amazing” and “I’m not even cutting slices off anymore, just eating (it) straight from the plate.”
Also, I’d like to officially apologise for the TERRIBLE photography. Firstly it was dark, which never makes for good lighting, but also it was a gift and I couldn’t slice into it…
This cake is indulgent, it makes at least 12 serves (although the aforementioned friend polished it off on his own… in one sitting); a small sliver should suffice. It will keep in the fridge for up to five days (if you can make it last that long).
Healthy Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 200g 85% dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 180g grass-fed butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp ground cardamom, optional
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- 6 organic eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (see alternatives below)
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan forced. Grease and line a 22cm springform cake pan.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the cardamom and salt. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Place the egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes, or until thick. Stir egg yolk mixture into the cooled melted chocolate mixture. Clean the egg yolk bowl and dry well.
4. Place egg whites in the clean dry bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until whites form firm peaks and get thick and glossy (similar to a meringue). Gently fold half of the egg whites through the chocolate mixture until just combined. Fold through remaining mixture. Pour mixture into the prepared cake pan.
5. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the top is just set and springs back when lightly touched. Remove from oven and cool completely before removing from the pan.
6. Serve a slice of your healthy Flourless Chocolate Cake with yoghurt and fresh raspberries.