There are certain things that scream CHRISTMAS for me as November and December creep onto the calendar. The smell of gardenias, the Sydney humidity and cherry season! Oh cherries, how I love thee. I’ve often wished that their season was a little longer, but there is something extra special about their festive associations. So instead of wishing for a never-ending box of cherries, I just make the most of them while they’re around.
Hence today’s Cherry Ripe Smoothie recipe… Interestingly, I don’t like cherry ripes, and not in an “OMG they’re full of so much sugar” kind of way, because let’s be honest I can appreciate a good Tim Tam, but I just don’t like the faux cherry flavour.
This smoothie however, takes all of the delicious elements of the classic Cherry Ripe chocolate bar and makes it a delicious AND healthy wholefoods indulgence.
Cherry Ripe Smoothie
- The water and half the flesh from 1 young coconut
- ½ cup almond milk (I like to use homemade or cold-pressed)
- 1 tablespoon gelatin, optional
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- ¼ avocado
- ½ small frozen banana
- 10 pitted cherries
- 1 teaspoon maca, optional
- 1 teaspoon magnesium, optional
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder
- Garnish with shredded coconut and cacao nibs
- Pop all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.