These Banana, Cacao & Beetroot Muffins do all the talking. So much so that I don’t feel like I really need to sell them to you with my wordy wit.
Cacao and Beetroot are the best of buddies, and the mashed banana means no sugar and no eggs are necessary.
I haven’t met a set of taste buds that doesn’t love them. Even the healthy muffin naysayers.
Banana, Cacao & Beetroot Muffins
- 1 ½ cups spelt flour
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- pinch of salt
- 3 medium overripe bananas, peeled & mashed
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 medium beetroot, washed & grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line a muffin tray with baking paper or patty cases.
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, cacao, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, vanilla, cacao nibs and salt.
3. In a separate bowl combine the mashed banana, milk, oil and maple syrup. Stir through the beetroot.
4. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Don’t over mix or your muffins will become rubbery.
5. Spoon the muffin mixture into the prepared muffin tin.
6. Cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Cool for at least 10 minutes. You can store muffins in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Looking for a similar muffin recipe? Try my Zucchini, Carrot & Pecan Muffins.
Love cacao & beetroot? You’re going to love my Fudgey Cacao & Beetroot Brownie.