So it turns out I can’t do a million things at once!
I know, I’m just as shocked as you are.
Since starting my podcast series, The Inspired Table Podcast, and working on some exciting recipe development projects (which I can talk about very soon), it really hasn’t left much time for writing or recipe creation for the blog #soz.
These babies were the result of some procrasti-baking that took place on the weekend, and considering they were a hodge podge of ingredients I had in the house they turned out pretty darn tasty.
My current house guest is vegan, so in the spirit of sharing (and force feeding people), these muffins are vegan too. Enjoy!
Apple, Beetroot & Walnut Muffins
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 tbs flaxmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 green apple, unpeeled & cut into 1cm chunks
- 1 medium beetroot, grated
- Coconut flakes, chopped nuts and chia seeds to garnish (if you like)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line a muffin tray with baking paper or patty cases.
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, flaxmeal, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, cinnamon and walnuts.
3. In a separate bowl combine the mashed banana, milk and oil. Stir through the apple.
4. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Don’t over mix or your muffins will become rubbery. Gently fold through the beetroot.
5. Spoon the muffin mixture into the prepared muffin tin and top each muffin with some coconut nuts and chia seeds if using. Sprinkle with a little extra cinnamon.
6. Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Cool for at least 10 minutes. You can store muffins in an airtight container for up to 1 week.