The point of this recipe is ease and simplicity, so I have used canned chickpeas. If you’re a purist, and the thought of this freaks you out, by all means take the 24 hours to soak them and a further 1 hour (maybe longer) to cook them first.
If you love beetroot, you’re going to hands down love this hummus. If you love colour and watching peoples faces light up then this is the recipe you’re after. The fluro pink is unmistakeable and makes you want to give Mama Nature a huge high five.
Easy Beetroot Hummus recipe
- 1 small beetroot, washed
- 1 can of organic chickpeas (BPA free is best), drained & rinsed
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled & crushed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Wrap the whole beetroot in aluminium foil, pop on an oven tray and roast in the oven for 45 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. The cooking time will vary depending on the size of your beetroot. Once tender, remove the foil, allow beetroot to cool, pull off the skin and discard (it should slide off), and chop the beetroot into smaller chunks.
- Add the beetroot, chickpeas, garlic and lemon juice to a food processor. Begin processing and slowly add oil through the funnel of the machine. Process until smooth. I prefer mine to be a velvety smooth consistency you might prefer yours a little chunky. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with a little extra olive oil. Garnish with fresh parsley, if you like.
- Serve as a dip with your favourite veggie crudités.
- Dollop on top of salads for a delicious, sweet and protein rich addition.
- Add to your favourite mezze plate, with falafel, tabouli and pita bread.
Love hummus? You must try my famous Turmeric Hummus recipe.