You basically have two options when bananas start browning in the fruit bowl; bake ’em or freeze ’em.
My nani’s got baked. They got baked real good!
I used spelt flour to make these Banana and Cardamom Muffins, but if you’re looking for a gluten free option I’d replace with half buckwheat half gluten free all purpose flour.
If you don’t like cardamom (LEAVE, JUST GO!), you can replace it with extra cinnamon. But seriously who doesn’t like cardamom?!
Banana and Cardamom Muffins
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large over ripe bananas, mashed
- 125g butter, melted
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used coconut)
- 1/4 cup granola
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160ºC fan forced. Lightly grease a 12 x 1/3-cup capacity muffin pan or line with paper cases.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices.
- In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients (except the granola).
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Don’t over mix. This will make your muffins tough (this is the secret to all fluffy muffins – now you know).
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tray. Sprinkle with granola.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before hoeing into them.